Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Chicken Stew and Baked Rice

I've made two more recipes for Potluck Week at I Heart Cooking Clubs, with recipes from two of IHCC's past featured chefs, Jamie Oliver and Mark Bittman.

Jamie Oliver's Chicken Stew is delicious. Taken from his book Jamie's Food Revolution, he has given  the basic stew ingredients with four options to select from, with different meat and booze, to make four different stews. I've made Chicken Stew, using chicken thigh meat and white wine. I've followed everything in the recipe but I have used a fresh sprig of rosemary from the garden pot instead of fresh thyme and added an extra stalk of celery. This stew can either be cooked on the stove or in the oven. I cooked mine on the stove, for about 1 hour 15 minutes. It was easy and very flavourful.

Wanted to serve the stew with rice, I've made Mark Bittman's Simpler-Than-Pilaf Baked Rice, basmati rice cooked with cinnamon stick, cloves and cardamom pods. The spices are sauteed with a little butter and oil, then the rice is stirred in with some salt and pepper. Add the water, let it come to a boil, cover the pot and place it in the preheated oven to bake for 10 minutes. I actually baked the rice for 30 minutes, as I have always cooked my rice in the oven this way. Once the rice is done, leave it for 15 minutes, fluff with a pair of chopsticks. Since I've cooked the rice much earlier, I simply transferred the cooked fluffy rice to the rice cooker, switched on with the "Keep Warm" function. Rice will be kept fluffy and hot until serving time.


Jamie Oliver's Chicken Stew and Mark Bittman's Baked Rice.


We had the Chicken Stew and Baked Rice with Diana Henry's Slow-Cooked Garlic Courgettes for dinner. Delicious!


Chicken Stew
(adapted from Jamie's Food Revolution by Jamie Oliver)
3 sprigs of fresh thyme
1 pound diced, boneless, skinless chicken thighs
2 cups white wine
2 stalks celery
2 medium onions
2 carrots
olive oil 1 heaped tablespoon all-purpose flour
1x14-ounce can of diced tomatoes
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

If using the oven to cook your stew, preheat it to 350F. Trim the ends of your celery and roughly chop the stalks. Peel the carrots, slice lengthways, and roughly chop.
Put a Dutch oven on a medium heat. Put all the vegetables and your chosen herb into the pan with 2 lugs of olive oil and fry for 10 minutes.
Add your meat and flour. Pour in the booze and canned tomatoes. Give it a good stir, then season with a teaspoon of sea salt (less if using table salt) and a few grinds of pepper.
Bring to a a  boil put the lid on, and either simmer slowly on your cooktop or cook in an oven for 1-1/2 hours. Remove the lid for the final half hour of simmering or cooking and add a splash of water if it looks a bit dry. When done, your meat should be tender and delicious. Remove any herb stalks before serving, and taste it to see if it needs a bit more salt and pepper.


Baked Rice
(adapted from How To Cook Everything by Mark Bittman)
2 tablespoons butter or 1 tablespoon neutral oil, like grapeseed or corn
One 3-inch cinnamon stick
2 cloves
1 teaspoon cumin seeds or 5 white cardamom pods (optional)
1-1/2 cups long grain rice, preferable basmati
salt and freshly ground black pepper

Heat the oven to 350F. Put half the butter or all of the oil in an ovenproof pot with a lid over medium heat. When the butter is melted or the oil is hot, add the spices and cook for about a minute. Add the rice and some salt and pepper and cook, stirring for about a minute.
Add 2-1/2 cups water, bring to a boil, cover, put in the oven, and bake for 10 minutes. Remove the rice from the oven, but do not uncover; let it rest in a warm place for another 10 minutes. Remove the cinnamon and cloves (the cardamom pods are good to eat); taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary, stir in the remaining butter if you are using it, and serve immediately.


I'm linking this post with I Heart Cooking Clubs IHCC), theme for this week
October 2017 Potluck


and

 I'm linking this post with Cookbook Countdown #22 hosted by 


7 comments:

  1. How delicious! I have never made baked rice and can't wait to try it. Thanks for sharing, Joyce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a beautiful plate of food. I love the versatility of the stew recipe; it sounds like one everyone should have in their repertoire.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad this stew can be made on the stove as it is still too hot for the oven where I am. I also love my rice cooker so glad for that adaptation. The rice looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful and stunning meal. I love all the colors! Jamie's chicken stew would be perfect comfort food for the cold spell we're having and I love the idea of adding a cinnamon stick to the rice. Sounds like the perfect way to impart a warmth to the rice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how you bring the garlic zucchini with the chicken stew and the rich dish together. The finished plate looks enticing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just wanted to say, I've been following both this blog and your garden blog for a very long time and I always enjoy your posts! I especially like your cooking posts because the food you make is realistic for a home cook and all of the recipes I've tried have turned out well. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lily for your kind words! And for visiting both my blogs. It is so nice to know that you have tried some of the food which I've posted and glad that you have enjoyed them too! Thank you! :)

      Delete