Thursday, July 21, 2016

Penne with Pepperoni, Baby Tomatoes, Olives and Capers

We are cooking with tomatoes at I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC) for this week's theme "I Say Tomato, You Say Tomahto!"  I've made one of Curtis Stone's pasta recipe which I have bookmarked to try for ages. Some members of IHCC, (Kim, Tina and Susan) has made this pasta for previous themes and everyone has given a thumbs up review. So it's my turn to join the wagon!



Sweet juicy cherry tomatoes roasted in the oven with some olive oil, salt and pepper until the tomatoes begin to spilt, which took about 15-20 minutes. I've used more tomatoes than the recipe calls for.

Originally the recipe is called "Rigatoni with Spicy Italian Salami, Baby Tomatoes, Olives and Capers".  I could not find Rigatoni and have replaced with Penne. Did not have Spicy Italian Salami too, but I do have some frozen pepperoni so that was what I've used. 

Slices of pepperoni are fried in a little oil until lightly browned. Saute the chopped garlic, add in the roasted tomatoes, stir for a few minutes, then pour in the white wine, olives and capers. Stir and add in the pepperoni and parsley ( I have used cilantro). Stir in the cooked pasta, adjust the seasoning with more salt and pepper. Serve immediately.



 A very tasty pasta dish. The next time I will add even more roasted tomatoes. 



I sprinkled some chilli flakes over my plate, a habit of mine with most pasta dishes, preferring the chilli flakes over cheese!


Rigatoni with Spicy Italian Salami, Baby Tomatoes, Olives and Capers
(adapted from "Relaxed Cooking with Curtis Stone")
Serves 4
20 cherry tomatoes on the vine
2 teaspoons plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
8 ounces spicy salami, such as Sopressa Vicentina,, sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup pitted Kalamata olives
1/4 cup extra-fine capers
1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsely
8 to 10 ounces rigatoni pasta

Preheat the oven to 375F. Place the tomatoes on a small baking sheet and drizzle with the 2 teaspoons olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast the tomatoes in the oven for about 8 minutes, or until they begin to split. Remove the tomatoes from the oven and let them cool slightly.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
While the water is heating, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large heavy saute pan over medium heat. Add the salami and cook for 30 seconds on each side, until light golden in colour. Remove the salami from the pan and reserve.
Return the pan to the heat, add the garlic, and saute for 1 minute, or until tender. Add the tomatoes and saute for 3 minutes. Add the wine and simmer for about 3 minutes, or until reduced by about half. Add the olives and capers and toss gently. Bring the mixture to a simmer and add the salami and parsely.
Meanwhile, cook the pasta in the boiling salted water for 8 minutes, or until al dente. Drain the pasta and toss it in the pan with the sauce. Season the pasta to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer the pasta to plates, spooning any extra salami and tomato mixture from the pan around the pasta, and serve.


I'm linking this post with I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC), theme for this week, 
"I Say Tomato, You Say Tomahto!"





12 comments:

  1. More roasted tomatoes for me please! The pasta looks summery and very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've had this a few times, love it! Your photos are good, I could reach in and take a bite :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joyce, that looks absolutely yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joyce,
    I've been eating lots of roasted cherry tomatoes lately for my "healthy eating lunch" ... this pasta dish looks very inviting ^-^!

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks yummm, I cooked pasta too, hope you have a nice weekend

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pasta always works ;-) especially with such a hearty and delicious sauce

    ReplyDelete
  7. A super meal. I would increase the tomatoes too, they're so good right now especially.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like getting cherry tomatoes and have them roasted. They pair so well with olive and capers in a pasta dish. A winning formula!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think extra tomatoes is always a good idea and with the use of pepperoni, the sauce almost sounds like a pizza topping. "Pizza pasta" would definitely go over well here!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous! Love those roasted tomatoes and of course the capers. ;-) This looks like the perfect comfort-food pasta dish.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I truly loved this easy and fun pasta dish. I love your twist with the pepperoni slices in place of salami. Good idea to add chili flakes in place of cheese. My waistline would like me much more if I did the same;)

    ReplyDelete