Saturday, November 28, 2015

Chicken, Spinach and Noodles Broth

It's November Potluck week over at I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC), and I'm bringing another dish. A soupy chicken broth noodle from Nigel Slater's book "Eat".



Originally, the recipe uses asparagus spears which is cut into ribbons. I do not have any asparagus but I do however have a pot of Amaranth (Chinese Spinach) growing in my garden pot, which are just about right for harvest. And these Chinese Spinach are great in soups and stir-fries. So I've used that instead. Instead of chicken thighs, I've used chicken breast fillet. I've followed the cooking instructions for the thighs, but shred the meat to pieces before serving. For the noodles, I've used dried egg noodles which is boiled till softened. 



Round Leaf Amaranth (Chinese Spinach) from my potted garden



This is an easy noodle dish to come together rather quickly. I made this for lunch, with a condiment of light soy sauce mixed with chopped birds eye chillies.


Chicken, Asparagus and Noodle Broth
(adapted from "Eat", Nigel Slater)
For 2-3 servings
Ingredients :
chicken thighs (I use chicken breast)
asparagus (I use homegrown Chinese spinach)
noodles
mushrooms (I use fresh Shiitake)
garlic
chicken stock

Brown 4 chicken thighs in a little oil in a deep pan. Slice 150gm mushrooms, such as large field, portobello or porcini, and peel and slice 2 garlic cloves. Add the mushrooms and garlic to the pan and continue browning, adding more oil if necessary. Pour in a litre of chicken stock, bring to the boil and simmer for about 30 minutes. Lift out the thighs and take the meat off the bones, returning it to the simmering stock. (I've used chicken breast fillet, cook as above, and shredded the meat before serving). Shave 4 asparagus spears into ribbons with a vegetable peeler, then add them to the soup with 200gm noodles (I've used Chinese spinach, cooking it in the soup for just a few minutes). Cook for a minute or two, then divide between deep bowls.


I'm linking this post with I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC), theme for this week,
November Potluck



and 
 photo 77951578-1914-4b72-8eda-9e40a91183ac_zps331eb4b4.jpg




12 comments:

  1. Hi Joyce, I love this simple and healthy noodle soup. Cooked this kind of noodles very often for lunch with sambal belacan for extra 'kick'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This soups looks good too and homegrown vegs again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks delicious Joyce and very much like something I would enjoy. Fresh ingredients and simple cooking method - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joyce:)
    How lucky are you to be able to harvest from your garden, lol...My garden is fast asleep for a cold Winter's nap:)

    I've been craving noodle dishes like crazy lately. My daughter introduced me to noodle bowls while I was in Idaho and I am hooked! Your dish is calling my name:) Thanks so much for sharing, Joyce...Hope all is well in your little corner of the world:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This dish jumps out at me for its fresh green, effervescence and lightness. I'm sure it tastes as good as it looks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm surprised Nigel Slater has so many Asian recipes. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joyce, your spinach is so beautiful. In this cool weather, this broth will definitely make a very heartwarming dish!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't realize amaranth had an edible green. I will definitely keep an eye out for it. Your broth bowl looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. YUM! Looks delicious & comforting . My kind of meal during the cool winter season . ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Noodly soups like this are my favorite lunch. Your homegrown is just gorgeous! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nigel Slater has such comforting and delicious recipes, such as this one. The Chinese spinach looks lovely and is something I've never seen before. I also love the sounds of your condiment with the birds eye chilis. I imagine it paired wonderfully with this nourishing bowl of soup.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks so warm and comfortable for a cold day. Love noodle soups.

    ReplyDelete