Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Blue Cheese, Hazelnut and Apple Salad

"September 2015 Mystery Box Madness Challenge", this week's theme at I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC). Ten ingredients are given and we are to select at least three to make a dish from any of IHCC's past or present featured chefs.

The ten ingredients are Salmon (fresh, smoked, canned), Green Peas (dried, fresh, frozen or canned), Hazelnuts, Eggplant, Parmesan Cheese, Kale, Apples (any colour/kind), Blue Cheese, Rosemary, Bread Rolls/Buns.



My selected ingredients : Blue Cheese, Apples and Hazelnuts 
Selected IHCC's chef : Jamie Oliver


I've made Jamie Oliver's Blue Cheese, Hazelnut and Apple Salad. 

Simple, easy, quick and refreshing! This is the first time I'm trying Blue Cheese, and find that I like it! It is a little strong in taste, creamy with a distinctive smell. It is a little salty, so I've used  a small amount for a plateful of salad. 

I did not have any spinach but have used lettuce greens which I've sliced to shredded pieces. I've used two apples, red and green, to get a mixture of sweet and sour.  To assemble the salad, place the shredded lettuce on a serving plate, top with apple slices, crumble the blue cheese over, scatter the toasted hazelnuts, squeeze the juice of a lemon over and drizzle with some extra virgin olive oil. 


I like this salad! Sweet and sour from the apples, fresh lettuce greens, salty cheese and crispy toasted hazelnuts, with the lemon juice and olive oil, makes such a lovely combination! 


Blue Cheese, Hazelnut and Apple Salad
(adapted from "Jamie's 15 Minute Meals", Jamie Oliver)
50gm blanched hazelnuts
200gm baby spinach
1 apple
40gm blue cheese
juice of a lemon
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil

Toast the almonds in a small frying pan until golden, tossing regularly. Put the spinach in a salad bowl, coarsely grated the apples over or slice to matchstick, then crumble over the blue cheese. Crush the toasted nuts in a pestle and mortar, then scatter over the salad. Drizzle the salad with extra virgin olive oil, and squeeze over the juice of lemon.


I'm linking this post with I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC), theme for this week
September 2015 Mystery Box Madness"



12 comments:

  1. Beautiful ingredients and a wonderful looking salad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joyce, I cannot take blue cheese because I cannot stand the smell and taste. I tried it when I was a kid and I was terrified hah..hah... But I suppose this salad tastes just as good without the cheese :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blue cheese - smells not too great but tastes so good! Something like the Chinese's smelly tofu. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found lots of sweet and juicy apples at the supermarket recently. A bit expensive but the taste was good :-) Love the combination of both green and red apples. Yummy yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great use of the MBM ingredients. Blue cheese and apples is such a great pairing--not to mention the addition of the toasted hazelnuts. Yum!

    Glad you enjoyed the blue cheese. I loving trying new blue cheeses as there is such variety in the flavors and intensity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what a fantastic combination! I love the look of this salad!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great dish that put all these wonderful ingredients together with color and fresh taste! I like all the parts and the whole.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joyce - Thanks for inspiring me to make this gorgeous salad! I can always count on you for great recipe ideas:) This salad reminds me of a salad I get at a new little restaurant in town. I added a few seeds and made a different dressing but it was delicious. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's such a beautiful salad Joyce. I love the fruit and cheese combination and so glad you enjoyed the blue cheese - it's definitely an acquired taste.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love salads with blue cheese! This one sounds wonderful and every Jamie Oliver recipe I've tried I've enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful salad. If it just didn't have BLUE CHEESE......

    ReplyDelete