Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Tomato Bread

"Tomato" is this month's theme for Little Thumbs Up, an event organized by Zoe, from Bake For Happy Kids and this month's theme is hosted by Mui Mui from My Little Favourite DIY

This bread was bookmarked ages ago and I've never got round to make it. Since this month's theme is Tomato, it gives me the perfect excuse not to put it off any longer!


Freshly baked Tomato Bread


Let's get started on the making of Tomato Bread :

First, you  would need to make the starter (gelatinized dough).  Plan ahead, as this starter is to be kept in the refrigerator overnight. Refer recipe instructions below.



1. You will need 2 small tomatoes, about 125gm
2. Blend the tomatoes till finely blended.
3. Mix the starter and the rest of the ingredients.
4. Knead till smooth and leave to rise for about 40 minutes.
5. The risen dough.
6. Punch down lightly and divide dough into balls of 80-85gm each, which yields about 10. Let rest 10 minutes.


7. Roll each ball to flatten.
8. Roll up like a swiss roll, tucking the two ends under to seal.
9. Place the bread on lined and greased baking tray, cover and leave to rise for about 50 minutes.


Once buns has risen, brush the top with egg wash, sprinkle some grated cheddar cheese, pipe some mayonnaise over the top and sprinkle with dried parsley. You may use freshly chopped parsley.
I have made four of these buns with filling of a whole cheese sausage each. The other 6 are left plain without any filling.


Bake at 180C for 15-18 minutes until done.


Freshly baked tomato buns! Best eaten when these are still warm. Yum!


The ones with the cheese sausage filling. Texture of the bread is densely soft and moist. This is not the fluffy kind of softness, maybe this bread uses oil instead of butter. But very good when eaten warm with a cup of tea. The next time I might try using butter instead of oil. Overall, nice and tasty bread!




I'm linking this post with Little Thumbs Up, where the ingredient for this month is Tomato, organised by Zoe from Bake For Happy Kids and hosted by my little favourite DIY

I'm sharing this too with :
See Ya In The Gumbo hosted by Ms. enPlace
Recipe Box hosted by Bizzy Bakes


Tomato Bread
(adapted from "Magic Bread", Alex Goh)
For the starter :
100gm bread flour
70gm boiling water

Place the bread flour in a small bowl. Pour boiling water over it and stir with a spoon until it forms a rough dough. I find that I needed to add in about 1-2 tablespoons more hot water. Cover with plastic wrap, keep aside to cool and  keep in the refrigerator for at least 12 hours.
(You may use your hands to help along with the dough when it is not so hot to handle)


For the bread :
400gm bread flour
45gm sugar
8gm salt
1 tbsp chopped parsley (I use 1 tsp dried parsley)
1 tbsp Italian mixed herbs
8gm instant yeast

125gm tomato (blend until fine)
20gm tomato paste
120gm cold water
35gm olive oil

some grated cheddar cheese
some mayonnaise
some chopped fresh parsley (I used dried parsley)
  1. Mix bread flour, sugar, salt, parsley, mixed herbs and instant yeast in a mixing bowl of a stand mixer until well blended. Add in the starter dough (I pinched the dough into small pieces and scattered all over the flour mixture), together with the blended tomato, tomato paste, cold water and olive oil. Knead till dough is smooth and elastic. (at this point, mine did not turn out elastic, but is smooth, even though I've kneaded it for almost 20 minutes). 
  2. Form the dough into a ball, place it in a big bowl which was greased with some oil, turn the dough over, cover the bowl with a greased cling wrap and leave to rise for about 50 minutes until well risen.
  3. Remove dough to a lightly floured worktop and punch down gently. Divide dough into 80-85gm round pieces and let rest for 10 minutes.
  4. Flatten one round of dough using a small rolling pin, roll up like a swiss roll into an oblong shape, tucking both ends under to seal. Place onto a greased pan, repeat with remaining balls of dough. Cover and let rise, for about 50 minutes.
  5. About 20 minutes before baking time, preheat the oven to 190C. (I baked mine at 180C, depending on your oven)
  6. Brush the top with egg wash, sprinkle some grated cheddar cheese, pipe some mayonnaise over and top with some sprinkling of chopped fresh parsley or dried parsley.
  7. Bake in a preheated oven at 190C for 15 minutes. (I baked mine at 180C for 18 minutes)
  8. Remove buns and cool on wire racks. 
#21/100


26 comments:

  1. Aside from the sausage (which I think is a fun surprise), the ingredients remind my of the Southern classic: Tomato Pie...tomatoes, cheese, and mayo in a pie crust. Looks tasty, Joyce! Thank you for coming by each week and linking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tomato bread ~ oh wow, and with the sausage filling inside too, this is just the right thing for breakfast, for tea break, anytime of the day! I loves homemade bread and buns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. look beautiful! I love homemade bread!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This will fit into my lunch menu! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Healthy and yummy bread. Looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Joyce,

    Thank you so much for dropping by earlier. :D These buns look totally delicious...can you actually taste the tomatoes in the bread? Either way, I could eat one (or a couple) right now...especially the ones with the cheese sausage. Yum!

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW ....Mouthwatering !!! Added sausage in the bread is just like cherry on the cake !! Love it :-)
    ShrutiRasoi
    Today's Recipe
    Shepherd's Salad

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tomato bread sounds delicious, love that one with the sausage... thanks for sharing, will try this recipe sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, Joyce! Your tomato bread sure looks very delicious! Especially the ones with sausages. Hmmm...when am I getting started with bread making? hah! hah!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my! Now is going to be lunch time & this tomato bread especially with sausage is calling me! LOL No kidding ! Not only it looks good but sounds easy to make too. I wanted to make this ASAP! Double thumbs up for this sedaplicious recipe! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your bread reminds me of the ones here ! Not tomato flavored though :D I love the ones with sausage filling .... Those bread look really really good !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whenever I see your bread bakes, I wanna make bread too. LOL, but too busy no time. So can see, cannot eat. :P

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a beautiful bread, wonderful job..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Joyce,

    I have bookmarked this recipe for a long time. When I know that it is tomato theme for LTU March, I have decided to bake this recipe too :D

    Interesting to know your bread is densely soft and moist but not the fluffy texture... Will what happen to mine.

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good morning Joyce! I'm curious how are these tomato bread taste like! Love the colour of it! Yes yes, I'm going to participate in this for the next few weeks as I have cooked many tomato dishes recently, haha! I also made some tomato bread but totally different version, share later.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks delicious, I know sun dried tomatoes in bread is delicious, have not tried using pureed tomatoes in bread yet.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your bread sounds delicious and it has great eye appeal. I hope you've had a good day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, I first heard of tomato bread and it looks mouthwatering! I would love a bit of the bread with sausage filling :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. HI Joyce! Beautiful bread! But I prefer the "kosong" version without the filling... Big thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the sausage surprise inside!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks JUST PERFECT, Joyce !! It's giving me water in mouth !

    ReplyDelete
  22. this bread reminds me of the tomato, basil and cheese loaf which i made from your blog long ago. Remember that? i'm sure this is just as good as that!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Joyce,
    Two thumbs up for your tomato bread : )
    Looking at your bread makes me drool!
    Thanks for linking your lovely bread to LTU.
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Joyce,

    Thanks for this great recipe and detailed description, I have baked these breads and told about it on my blog. Please find the link below.

    http://westausgang.de/breadpassion/?p=1460

    Thanks for sharing!

    Many greetings from Germany!

    Yasemin from breadpassion.com

    ReplyDelete