Thursday, October 6, 2011

Chicken Rendang Pizza/Thousand Island Tuna Pizza : Free and Easy Bake-Along #11, Theme - Pizza Nite-In

I have made these two same pizzas for the last couple of times, repeated requests from my kids. Each time when I asked them what pizza they would like me to make, my daughter would request for Rendang Pizza (her favourite) and my son would asked for Thousand Island Tuna Pizza (his favourite). Yes, I did make these a couple of times but never did a post on these pizzas.

So when our baking group's theme for this Bake-Along is "Pizza Nite-In", I find myself baking these again! Both my kids have agreed that on the next pizza baking day, I will decide on the flavour, mommy's turn to choose! Hahaha!


I use the packaged pre-made rendang sauce, and I always use the brand above for making my homemade Rendang Pizza. It is really good, cooked with minced chicken and some sliced onions as a Pizza topping. Over here, in Malaysia, Pizza Hut does serve Rendang Pizza in their menu, which we seldom order, again, the kids get to pick their flavours, and this is not one of them. They have their own favourite flavours over at Pizza Hut!


My homemade version of Rendang Pizza, my family's favourite.


It is really nice!


You would not stop at just one slice! 




Thousand Island Tuna Pizza



Canned tuna in oil is drained and mashed coarsely. Mix with some Thousand Island Sauce, Mayo and Black Pepper. Top with some sliced pieces of canned pineapples, crab stick and onions, scatter generously with Mozzarella cheese, bake and enjoy!



Let's go over to see what my two baking buddies, Lena of Her Frozen Wings and Zoe of Bake For Happy Kids, are having for their "Pizza Nite-In". 

Wai Kitt from hellowaikitt has join us in this Pizza Nite-In Bake-Along. Hop over to see her delicious crispy pizza, a lovely snack anytime of the day!

We will be baking based on another theme "Chocolates and Cherries" next. Feel free to bake anything with Chocolates and Cherries, either fresh cherries, canned cherries, dried cherries, any kind of cherries! We will post that on 20/10, just mention our links in your post and leave a comment in any of our "Chocolate and Cherries" post (mine, Lena's or Zoe's), we will visit you right back! 

I'm sharing this with :
Cookbook Sunday at Mom's Sunday Cafe

And I'm bringing this to a Cookbook Party, hosted by Louise of Months of Edible Celebrations. Louise is celebrating her Blogoversary by throwing a Cookbook Party, and October being the National Cookbook Month! There's a whole list of food celebrations just for the month of October! For full details, hop over to Months of Edible Celebrations. I'm submitting these Pizzas under the list "Pizza Month"!


Pizza Crust
(adapted from : "Bread Machine Kitchen Handbook" by Jennie Shapter)
Makes two 30-cm/12-in Pizzas
280ml/10fl oz/1-1/4 cups water
30ml/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
450gm/1lb/4 cups unbleached white bread flour
7.5ml/1-1/2 tsp salt
2.5ml/1/2 tsp granulated sugar
5ml/1tsp easy bake dried yeast

  1. Pour the water and olive oil into the bread machine pan. If the instructions for your machine specify that the yeast is to be placed in the pan first, reverse the order in which you add the liquid and dry ingredients.
  2. Sprinkle over the flour, ensuring that it covers the liquid. Add the salt in one corner of the bread pan and the sugar in another corner. Make a small indent in the center of the flour, then add the yeast.
  3. Set the bread machine to the dough setting; use basic or pizza dough setting (if available). Press Start. Lightly oil  two pizza pans or baking sheets.
  4. When the dough cycle has finished, remove the dough from the machine and place it on a lightly floured surface. Knock it back (punch it down) gently. If making the larger quantity divide the dough into two equal pieces. Preheat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7.
  5. Roll out the pizza dough into two 30cm/12-in rounds. Place in the prepared pans or on the baking sheet. 
(my notes : recipe does not require the crust to be baked before adding the filling. But I prebaked the crust for about 8-10 minutes first, then add on the filling and baked for a further 15 minutes. I made 2 pcs of 10.5in pizzas with this recipe)


Rendang Pizza Topping
(by kitchen flavours)
1 packet (about 200gm) rendang sauce
400gm minced chicken
1 medium onions (cut into thin wedges)
2 tbsp cooking oil
mozzarella cheese (as much as you want!)

Heat oil in non-stick cooking pan. Add in the minced chicken and stir until chicken is no longer pink and cooked, about 8-10 minutes. Add in onions and rendang sauce. Stir for  about 5 minutes. There is no need to add any salt, as the rendang sauce is already salty. You may taste and add some salt, to your preference.
When prebaked crust is ready, scatter rendang chicken all over. Top with mozarella cheese and baked in preheated oven at 220C for about 15 minutes, until crust is golden brown and cheese melts. Enjoy!


Thousand Island Tuna Pizza Topping
(by kitchen flavours)
1 small can (about 180gm) tuna chunks in oil, drained and mashed coarsely
3 slices canned pineapple rings (cut into chunks)
5-6 pieces crabsticks (cut each into 4 pcs)
1 small onions (cut into big chunks)
4 tbsp Thousand Island Dressing
2 tbsp Mayonnaise
dash of coarse black pepper
3 tbsp tomato puree
Mozzarella cheese

Mix tuna, Thousand Island Dressing, mayonnaise and coarse black pepper into a medium-sized bowl. When prebaked crust is ready, spread crust with tomato puree. Scatter tuna mixture, pineapples, crabsticks and onions all over. Top with Mozzarella cheese. Bake in preheated oven at 220C for about 15 minutes until crust is golden brown and cheese melts. Enjoy!



29 comments:

  1. a rendang pizza! how delicious! i think i can finish the whole pizza for you! does pizza hut has this also? i'm sure yours taste much much better than theirs and that tuna pizza, what can i say..everyone's favourites!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mum brought over 1 packet of Mak Nyonya rendang sauce for me! Should I use it to make the rendang pizza (which looks absolutely delicious) or to make rendang??? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both pizzas are fantastic! I like the rendang one for the Asian twist. This baking theme is really fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. remind me i have so long did not make pizza for my kids, i must make pizza soon with these two new flavours which i have never try it yet. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dear friend
    Very delicious pizas!!!!
    Many greetings

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...all my favorite pizzas in your post !!! Drooling..if I am family, I too would not want to order from Pizza hut :) Delish ! Saw Lena's potato pizza and think it was good too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need some Rendang! I've not had it before but it looks amazing :) And if both of your kiddos request it then it MUST be good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Look at that pizza! I tell you, it looks like it came from a mom and pop pizza shop and one I would visit every single week! So thick and loaded with all the good stuff. The crust looks especially divine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wah this is the first time I heard about rendang pizza. Looks good. But I have to cheat with the crust...me very malas...beli frozen one since here it so easily to get pizza base in supermarket. Buat topping je ;-).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh, the thousand island tuna pizza sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't think I've ever heard of rendang sauce but I would love to try it. Your pizza's look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rendang flavoured topping...would really love to try the pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These toppings are so unique and original from any that I've ever eaten! I love the sound of the tuna pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh yes! October isn't Pizza Month for nothing! Your pizzas are sheer genius! I'm sitting next to you at the Cookbook Party!!!

    Thank you so much for joining us Joyce:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree, I wouldn't be able to stop at one piece! YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Super delicious pizzas,love ur toppings..

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great idea! Rendang pizza! one day Pizza Hut might steal your idea!I love both of your pizzas!
    Joyce,thank you for linking my post into yours^^

    ReplyDelete
  18. Homemade pizzas are awesome! Mouthwatering toppings!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds so interesting! Never tried rendang pizza before but definitely worth a try!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would love to try that rendang pizza. Have not tasted rendang in ages. BTW, I have some awards waiting for you on my blog. Do check it out. Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've never had rendang sauce but it looks delicious! I absolutely love the idea of a tuna pizza. I love tuna melt sandwiches and this looks very similar.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful pizzas and both so original...they look fantastic!
    Wishing you a wonderful weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. yours pizzas look fantastic and yumm!! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  24. I could definitely go for some rendang pizza, YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have not heard of Rendang Pizza before but it sure looks yummy. There is not contest between home made pizza and pizza hut. Home made always wins in our household!

    ReplyDelete
  26. send some over plzz...there are 3 hungry young mouths to feed! errr maybe next time u can make curry devil pizza with my paste? lol

    ReplyDelete
  27. Pizza night is a favorite at our house, and both of these pizzas sound delicious! I've never had a pizza with either of these toppings, but they would be fun to try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Yum - rendang pizza sounds great. Wish I'd seen this post before I made our pizzas for dinner tonight.
    Sue xo

    ReplyDelete
  29. Joy I love your prebaked crust tip! Thanks for sharing with Cookbook Sundays! Please come back again in November.

    ReplyDelete