Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Stir-Fry Garoupa Fillet with Spring Onions

This is one of my family's favourite fish dish. Garoupa is one 'multi fish', it can be deep-fried, baked, bbq, steamed, cooked in curries and even stir-fry. My favourite is stir-fry and deep-fried till crispy. The smell of fried fish is mm... really good. For dinner tonight I decided to stir-fry with lots of spring onions. When my children were toddlers, when they first started to eat rice as part of their daily meal, I always cooked this for them. They love it, the gravy goes into the rice, the spring onions cut to small bits and sweet flaky flesh of the garoupa is all it takes for them to finish their bowl of rice! Of course, when you are cooking for very young children, reduce the ginger to maybe a slice or two and omit the cooking wine.


Mmm.... yummy !


For those of you who are always in the lookout for chinese cooking, check out this blog ricepalette. I'm sure that you will find something that will certainly please you. Ricepalette, your curiosity for garoupa stir-fry is here. This is for you! Hope that you will try it out someday (and let me know if you do!).


Two slices of fresh garoupa


Separate the meat from the bones


Fillet pieces from one slice of garoupa


A generous bunch of spring onions, separate the white parts from the green


These are all the ingredients needed for this tasty dish!


The fillet marinated with cooking wine, dash of pepper and a little salt


Enjoy your meal !

Stir-Fry Garoupa Fillet with Spring Onions
Ingredients :
2 slices garoupa
generous bunch of spring onions
some ginger (sliced)
2 garlic cloves
dash of white pepper
2 tbsp of chinese cooking wine
salt
2 tbsp of sesame oil
2 tbsp of cooking oil

Method :
  1. For fillet : Cut garoupa meat, separating from the bone lengthwise on both sides. Slice the meat into fillet pieces. The centre bones can be added in together with the fillet pieces. When slicing into fillet, feel with fingers for a bone or two usually attached on the two sides of the slices, remove the bone and discard. (Tip : cut fish when it is partially frozen, it will be easier to slice).
  2. Put fillet in a bowl and marinate with chinese cooking wine, dash of white pepper and a little salt. Do not add too much salt, you can add more salt during stir-fry. Marinate for about 20-30 minutes.
  3. Cut spring onions into 2 inch sections, separating the white part from the green.
  4. Cut ginger to thin slices. Crush garlic with knife and cut into two.
  5. Now let's get cooking ! : Just before cooking, stir gently about 2 tbsp of sesame oil to the fish fillet so that it won't stick together during cooking.
  6. Heat oil, saute garlic and ginger together for about 2 minutes until light brown and fragrant. Add in the white part of the spring onions and continue to stir for about 30 seconds.
  7. Add in fish fillet and stir gently until fillets turns white and cooked. The fillet would release a little of its own juices, which is very tasty ! Add in about 2 tbsp of water and add salt to taste. This will take about 4-5 minutes (depending on the thickness of the fillet).
  8. Add in the rest of the spring onions, stir and dish out to a serving plate. Serve hot. Enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. Kitchen Flavors:

    This looks VERY delicious!! I really want to try this recipe out! The garoupa fish looks very fresh too! Thanks for linking to my site, I will definitely return the favor at some point :)

    This recipe is definitely going to be bookmarked. When I do make this, I will make a post about it!!

    Thanks! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rice Palette, thank you for your comments. Hope you enjoy trying out this dish. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kitchen Flavours:

    I finally tried the recipe, and it was delicious! We made so much that there was left-over for next day :)

    I took a picture of it, and it almost looks like yours above, but except mine has a lot of small pieces of the fish, because I wasn't very "gentle" when stir-frying. I used a different wok to cook this, and the fillets kept getting stuck onto the wok, so there were a lot of tiny pieces. I should use a different wok next time.

    But this was very flavorful! Thanks so much for recommending this!

    I would like to write a blog on this recipe.. is it alright if I use your steps? I will of course mention your blog at the beginning, and hopefully it will get more visitors to your blog.. is this ok?

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rice Palette,
    I'm really happy to see that you have tried out this dish and enjoyed it too! Thank you so much, you have made my day! Try using a non-stick wok, or add another tablespoon of oil. Hope this will keep the fillets in 'one' piece!

    Yes, of course, you may write a blog on this and you may use my steps too. Thank you once again! Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kitchen Flavours!

    I finally made a blog post about your recipe! :)

    I hope you don't mind me using your photos (don't worry, I linked back to your website). I forgot to take my own photos of the garoupa before cooking :( If you prefer it if I use my own photos, just let me know and I can make changes.

    I'm very excited about this post, and thanks so much for recommending this! I hope I can get more visitors to your website! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Rice Palette,
    Wow, this is the first blog post linking to mine from a fellow blogger! Thank you so much!
    I don't mind about you using my photos, and I hope that others will try out this simple but tasty dish too, and enjoy it as much as we have! Have a nice day, you certainly have made mine!! Cheers !

    ReplyDelete