Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Lemon Curd

Lemon Curd is really soft and creamy with custard-like texture. It is smooth, really full of flavour with the tartness from the lemon, sweetness from the sugar and smooth, creamy texture from the eggs. I have seen quite a number of cake recipes, pies and tarts which uses lemon curd as one of the ingredients. I really love anything (well, almost!) with lemon, I even buy my hand-soap with lemon fragrance, the multi purpose floor cleaner with lemon fragrance, even my small kitchen towel with pictures of lemon. It is a beautiful citrus fruit, with its beautiful bright yellow skin and a pleasant tangy fragrance. Even a small basket of lemons would make a kitchen looks really bright and cheerful. I got this recipe from David Lebovitz's blog. This recipe is really good. But be warned that you have to whisk the curd in a bowl over a simmering pot for a good (at least) 20 minutes! Halfway during whisking, my hand is really, really tired and I was thinking , that's it, I don't think that I will do it again! I'll just go out and buy, even though I don't know where to find lemon curd, I will just have to try and find out. When the curd is finally done, what a relief! Strain it into a bowl and lick off the spoon. Oh my, it is sooooo delicious. It is really worth the effort! Think I'll do it again? Yes, definitely yes!!


Be prepared to "arm exercise" for a good 20 minutes or so, be careful of the hot steam, courtesy from the small pot below ! Wear a mitten.


Phew! It is finally done! Beautiful colour and texture !


Couldn't wait to try it ! After all the hard work, I'm entitled to lick the spoon, right?


Wow, delicious! Tempted to take another lick, but managed to restraint myself !
Just have to wait for tomorrow, spread it on bread, biscuits, anything!


Keeping time is one week. Will it last that long????

Lemon Curd
(makes 1 cup : 240gm)
1/2 cup (125ml) freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/3 cup (65gm) sugar (or 1/2 cup, 100gm, if using regular lemons)
2 large egg yolks
2 large eggs
pinch of salt
6 tbsp (85gm) unsalted butter, cubed

Method :
  1. Place a mesh strainer over a bowl, and set aside.
  2. In a medium saucepan, whisk together the lemon juice, sugar, egg yolks, eggs and salt.
  3. Add the butter cubes and set the pan over low heat, whisking constantly until the butter is melted.
  4. Increase the heat and cook over moderate heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture thickens and just begins to become jelly-like. It's done when you lift the whisk and the mixture holds its shape when it falls back into the saucepan from the whisk.
  5. Immediately press the curd through the strainer. Once strained, store the lemon curd in the refrigerator. It will keep for up to one week.
Serving : Lemon Curd is wonderful spread on toast or crumpets. It can also be used as a cake filling and you can make a tangy lemon cream to serve alongside gingerbread by folding in a equal amount of whipped cream.


3 comments:

  1. Delicious and I too made some lemon curd last weekend. I used some for a lemon curd tart and still have some left over. Am trying to think what I could do with the remaining ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore the lemon curd desserts. Yours looks very smooth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jo, I really love this lemon curd with toasted bread. Made a citrus lemon curd cake last week and using the balance to make lemon bread tonight.

    Angie, Lemon curd is so refreshing. Sweet, sour and yummy!

    ReplyDelete